Like physical therapy for the eyes and brain.
Vision therapy is a doctor-supervised program designed to correct many common visual disorders and/or improve visual skills.
It’s especially useful for treating vision problems that cannot be corrected with eyeglasses, contacts, or surgery alone.
Book an appointment at Pycraft Family Eye Care to learn more about vision therapy and whether it’s a good option for you.
What is vision therapy used to treat?
Vision therapy is a lot like physical therapy for the eyes and the brain.
It is typically used to improve focus and range of focus, depth perception, and the ability for the eyes and brain to work together.
A vision therapy program can be used to help with many common vision problems, including:
- Depth-perception problems
- Sports vision problems
- Lazy or crossed eyes
- Vision-sensory impairments
- Vision problems caused by traumatic brain injuries or strokes
- Double vision issues and eye tracking problems
- Certain reading disabilities
How is a vision therapy program structured?
Your eye care provider will prepare an individualized plan that typically involves in-office visits and take-home assignments.
Treatment sessions are typically once or twice weekly, for about 30-60 minutes.
Vision therapy and learning problems
Any child experiencing reading or learning disabilities should have a comprehensive eye exam to test for vision problems. In cases where the learning problem is vision-related, then vision therapy may be a part of the treatment program.
Some of the signs that your child may have a vision problem affecting their ability to learn include:
- Not wanting to read or examine their schoolwork closely
- Complaints of headaches or their eyes hurting
- Lack of attention span during tasks requiring visual attention
- Signs of problems with remembering imagery or words
- Squinting, tilting their head, or closing one eye during visual tasks
If you’d like to learn more about vision therapy and discuss your options with an experienced eye care professional, book an appointment at Pycraft Family Eye Care. We look forward to meeting you.